Saturday, December 7, 2013

Gilded Paper tutorial on Splitcoaststampers :)


Gilded Paper Tags

it's for a really easy foil leafing technique that I'm calling Gilded Paper. :)

Gilded Paper - tutorial at Splitcoaststampers

Have you ever gilded anything with silver or gold leaf? 

I've done a few things for around the house, like a recipe box & a knife block. But when it comes to card making I was reluctant to use that liquid sizing adhesive that comes with leafing kits. I didn't want the paper to warp. So... to get some shimmer without any goopiness I thought 'why not use some sticker paper instead?'

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/the-48022/MEDIA-dsh-wht-dsh-adh-printable-white-sticker/Detail


Turns out that the Silhouette printable sticker paper is perfect for silver leafing with much less mess, and it leaves you with a nice papery backing on your silver piece that is really easy to adhere to your cards & other projects. They also have a clear sticker paper; I've never tried it but it sounds interesting (Of course, you could use any sticker paper, label paper, or any sticker at all, instead.)




gold Gilded snow flake die-cut resist tag copy

For this box, I made a gold foil tag with an Impression Obsession snowflake die (cut out of thin white paper and stuck onto the sticky tag before adding foil) just to make it that much easier.

I added some snowflake flowers (so easy!) just punch a snowflake shape (these are Martha Stewart snowflake punches.) Then, pierce a hole in the center & then add a floral wire & something to embellish the center (I used a rolled up metallic pipecleaner bit glued on). Then add some leaves.

Edited to add: oops wrong graph paper! Here's the one the lid was actually wrapped in.
That's what I get for having too many graph papers on flickr. lol



22-cool_grey_NEUTRAL_small_scale_GRAPH_solid_letter_size_300dpi

(The letter size is also here on Flickr
 & 12.5" square here as well.)



embossed silver gilded paper tag


This box got a super simple embossed tag using this Cuttlebug Provocraft Snowflakes folder 

And a metallic pipe cleaner snowflake embellishment that was easy to shape by twisting & bending the pipe cleaners into shape. Then I layered on a punched vellum snowflake & mother of pearl button.


tiny_antique_graph_paper_letter_size_300dpi

(The letter size is also here on Flickr)



ho ho ho tag - free silhouette cut file

For this box, I added a die cut tag that says 'Ho Ho Ho' It was cut on the Silhouette Cameo. 

And the clear beaded snowflake embellishment is one that I made by cutting a circle from clear plastic packaging, piercing hole with a paper piercer (using a pencil sketch as a guide) then stitching on white seed beads using white thread and a fine needle.

The box top is wrapped in this free printable Snow Crystals paper:

snowflake_snow_crystals_LARGE_SCALE_letter_size_paper_300dpi

(The letter size is also here on Flickr
 & 12.5" square here as well.)


How to save these single papers directly from my blog:

PC users in Firefox/Chrome: Click on the paper you want & it will open a new window, 
then right click on the image & choose "save link as" 

PC users in Explorer: Click on the paper you want & it will open a new window, 
then right click on the image & choose "save target as"
 .
Mac users: Please visit the flickr links for each paper, then right click select 'all sizes'
& click on "download the original size of this photo"
 

You can also find the full set of Christmas papers, here
(there are three sets that I shared last year)...
  free printable Christmas paper set #2 preview



This digital work is offered up for free, but mainly for personal use or handmade sale items only.



Here's to shimmery happy craftiness! ox

11 comments:

Leslie Hanna said...

YOU SEWED ALL THOSE BEADS? THROUGH PLASTIC?! You are my hero. xoxo

Oh, and I love the gold and silver leaf stuff, too, though I don't have any myself. I'm still struggling with ink and paper. :)

tawn said...

Mel, how do you sew those beads on the plastic? I love the way that looks!

Glennis F said...

Wow! they are all fabulous - thanks for the tut!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Thanks again for the free digi's - love the gray graph! Another card for a challenge completed with your help! http://allidoisstamp.blogspot.com/2013/12/fusion-december-challenge.html

PS - Stunning projects on today's post too!!

alexandra s.m. said...

I don't know where to begin!
Your post is so rich of ideas, inspirations and goodies!

YOu blow my mind!

I love your paper, your ideas, your patience! your ability to always think outside the box!

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Edith said...

Alexandra said everything I wanted to say! Thanks for all the Inspiration and the freebies! Have a great Christmas Time! Hugs Edith

mzjohansen said...

Love this post and thank you for the tag cut file too! I am wondering where I can find the HO HO HO file? I have looked in the Silhouette store and on line and cannot find anything similar. I am will to pay for it !

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Hi Marie,

Thank you so much for your lovely comment. The Ho Ho Ho cutting file is next on my list of freebie things to blog, but you can find it here right now if you like: Ho Ho Ho tag Cutting File Hope it works well for you! :-D Mel

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Oh... and here's the print & cut one with the patterns, in case you might like it:

Ho Ho Ho tag cutting file with patterns :-D

mzjohansen said...

THANK YOU!
I guess that perhaps I should get my eyes checked?! be well

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Hi Marie, Nope, your eyes are just perfect. I added it for ya. :-D Happy Crafting!